Lately, pet-owners have been raving over the amazing results they've seen since they started supplementing their dogs’ diets with CBD. Let’s take a look at this fascinating new supplement, and why more and more pet owners are choosing CBD for dogs.
What is CBD?
CBD, or cannabidiol, is one of several active components of cannabis plants. Unlike its sister cannabinoid, THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), CBD does not impart psychoactive effects. The flowers of legal, industrial hemp plants contain high quantities of CBD.
How Does CBD Work?
Most mammals, including humans and dogs, contain a highly complex internal system that responds to cannabinoids. This system, called the endocannabinoid system (ECS), helps to regulate several vital processes in the body such as appetite, sleep cycles, moods and pain-sensation. Cannabinoids, including CBD, bind to receptors in the ECS and may help to balance important regulatory systems.
Does CBD Work on Dogs?
Dogs possess an endocannabinoid system that works in much the same way as the human ECS. Pet-owners increasingly report successful results for common canine ailments.
How Can CBD Help for My Dog's Pain?
There can be nothing worse for dog owners than to see their furry friends suffering in pain. Prescription painkillers may help with the pain, but they often leave dogs feeling lethargic and unresponsive. Moreover, many pharmaceuticals have serious side-effects and long-term health consequences. These days dog-owners search for alternatives to dangerous opiate-based analgesics and NSAIDs, and many turn to CBD for dogs pain.
Studies show that CBD may have potent anti-inflammatory properties which can help dogs with joint pain, digestive complaints and recovery from injuries. Several international studies assert that CBD may help bones grow stronger and heal faster.
Will CBD Oil Help When My Dog Has Anxiety?
Holidays with fireworks, evenings with thunderstorms, trips to the vet, and traveling with dogs can be especially stressful times for dog-owners. A recent laboratory study showed that CBD decreased anxiety-related behavior in mice. CBD may help dogs with generalized anxiety, situational anxiety and PTSD. Many pet owners use treats infused with CBD, and dogs love them! A yummy preflight CBD dog treat may be the perfect way to calm your dog on airplane trips.
Is CBD safe for dogs?
It is always important to speak with your veterinarian before adding a new nutritional supplement to your dog’s diet. However, reports show very few side effects of CBD oil in dogs. Most side-effects can usually be eliminated by adjusting the CBD dosage. Some dogs may experience mild side-effects from CBD, including:
- Dry mouth
- Lowered blood pressure
If your dog takes regular medications, you should consult your veterinarian before administering CBD. CBD may interact with some prescriptions to increase or decrease their effects.
Does CBD Cause Liver Damage in Dogs?
Dog-owners became alarmed when Forbes magazine published an article claiming that CBD could cause liver damage. The study, done by biased anti-cannabis researchers at the University of Arkansas, has since been completely discredited by scientists. A more recent 2018 follow-up study by the Colorado State University found absolutely zero clinically significant abnormalities in liver function in dogs treated with CBD. There remains no conclusive evidence that CBD can cause hepatic damage in dogs. On the contrary, scientists are now studying CBD's potential to help with the treatment of liver disease.
One fact we do know for certain is that prescription painkillers, anti-anxiety drugs and anti-epileptic pharmaceuticals do provoke liver damage when used over an extended period.
Will CBD Oil Make My Dog High?
No, CBD oil will never make your dog high. CBD supplements are legally required to contain less than .3% THC, which is far less than the amount necessary to have any psychoactive effect on your dog. CBD does not impart psychoactive effects. Moreover, CBD counteracts and lessens the effects of THC.
Is CBD Oil for Dogs Legal?
The Agricultural Act of 2018 legalized all hemp products containing less than .3%THC. All CBD oils must contain less than the legal amount, and many products, including White Leaf’s CBD oils and dog treats, are completely THC-free.
What is the Correct CBD Oil Dosage for Dogs
The optimum CBD dose for dogs depends on the size of your pet and the reason you are supplementing with cannabidiol. Dog-owners use CBD for several common reasons, such as:
- General wellbeing- Lab studies have shown CBD’s potential to help reduce general inflammation and promote cardiovascular health. A 3 to 5 milligram dose of CBD twice a day, depending on your dog’s weight, is usually sufficient as a general health supplement.
- Relieve anxiety- A higher dosage administered about twenty minutes before the stressful event is ideal for anxiety-relief.
- Medical conditions- Talk to your holistic veterinarian about the best CBD dosage for your dog’s individual condition.
Some pet owners have a difficult time determining the proper CBD oil dosage for dogs. Ask your vet or your quality CBD oil supplier for a CBD dosage chart for dogs. CBD chews for dogs and other premade edibles are a great way to administer a measured CBD dose for dogs.
How to Give CBD Oil to Dogs?
- Direct method- Pet-owners can use a dropper to place CBD oil directly in a dog’s mouth. However, some dogs can be uncooperative with the direct method.
- CBD oil for dogs food- Many owners find it convenient to administer CBD at feeding times. Wet food works better for adding CBD oil.
- CBD oil in water- A major drawback of this method is that the dog may not drink all of the water.
- CBD treats- Ready-made treats and CBD chews for dogs offer precisely measured dosages. Many pet-owners find that giving treats is the most convenient way to administer CBD, and dogs love them.
- Topical applications- Pet-owners can apply CBD oil directly to their dog’s skin. Manufacturers also sell specially-formulated skin products like White Leaf’s organic Topical CBD Cream.
Best CBD Oil for Dogs
There are several factors that you should consider when searching for the best CBD oil for dogs, such as:
- Hemp Oil vs. CBD Oil - Although both of these products may include the word “hemp” in the title, they are not the same product. Traditional hemp oil, made from the seeds of the hemp plant, does not contain any cannabidiol. Manufacturers extract CBD oil from the hemp flowers, which contain a large amount of cannabidiol.
- Organic ingredients- Always choose the best organic CBD oil for dogs. Cannabis plants absorb any pesticides and toxic substances in the soil and surrounding environment. If your dog regularly takes non-organic health supplements, these toxins will accumulate and cause adverse health effects. White Leaf CBD oil and dog treats are 100% organic and non-GMO.
- Full-spectrum vs. isolates- The best organic CBD oil for dogs are made from full-spectrum extracts. These oils contain the full range of terpenes and cannabinoids required to reap the benefits of the entourage effect.
- Gluten-free- As many dogs suffer from allergies, it’s important to choose gluten-free supplements. White Leaf’s CBD oil and CBD chews for dogs are 100% grain-free.
- Third-party testing- Manufacturers of the best CBD oil for dogs use third party-testing for quality-control. White Leaf sends each batch of the entire product line for thorough testing by a qualified third-party laboratory. We will gladly provide you with a Certificate of Analysis (COA) upon request.
Hopefully, we have helped you understand more about CBD and dogs. Contact us at Buy CBD Products. Our friendly staff can answer any remaining questions you may have and help you choose the best CBD product for your dog.