What is CBD?
CBD oil is derived from the stem, leaves, and flowers of the Hemp plant.
- Hemp classifies as Cannabis Sativa containing less than 0.3% THC.
- Marijuana classifies as Cannabis Sativa containing more than 0.3%.THC.
- Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is the compound that causes intoxication or ‘high.’
The 2019 Farm Bill made these classifications legal under Federal Law.
Can I Travel with CBD in the US?
What the TSA website tells us:
Marijuana and certain cannabis-infused products, including some Cannabidiol (CBD) oil, remain illegal under federal law except for products that contain no more than 0.3 percent THC on a dry weight basis or that are approved by FDA. (See the Agriculture Improvement Act of 2018, Pub. L. 115-334.) TSA officers are required to report any suspected violations of law to local, state, or federal authorities.
TSA’s screening procedures are focused on security and are designed to detect potential threats to aviation and passengers. Accordingly, TSA security officers do not search for marijuana or other illegal drugs, but if any illegal substance is discovered during security screening, TSA will refer the matter to a law enforcement officer.
Which States Can I Fly to with CBD?
If a CBD product contains more than 0.3% THC, you may be arrested in states where recreational marijuana use is not legal. The laws, both state and federal, are changing rapidly which makes it difficult to keep track of the current regulations in each state.
Texas has recently legalized hemp-derived CBD. However, it has been slow to follow through on the specifics of the bill. This creates a grey area for law enforcement. The consensus is that it’s better to leave your CBD at home if traveling to Texas until the law is more transparent. You are not breaking the law traveling with hemp-derived CBD with THC below 0.3%, but you might have to pay a lawyer to explain this to a Texan courthouse.
In 2019, at Dallas-Fort Worth International (DFW), arrests were made when drug-sniffer dogs indicated the presence of cannabis in travelers’ bags. Most of these travelers had a single CBD product such as vape pen or CBD oil.
While TSA can carry out on the spot tests for THC, the test cannot distinguish between high or low values of THC, only that it’s present in the product. This has led to unsuspecting travelers finding themselves arrested on felony drug possession charges in Texas.
Know Before You Go: Flying with CBD
- Keep up to date on the TSA regulations regarding flying with CBD. This includes the 3-1-1 rules about liquids and gels.
- Federal law does not always overrule state law. If you do decide to fly with a CBD product, it must be O.3% THC or less to comply with federal law, however, at the state level, it may still cause problems. You should check in advance with the relevant airport authority.
- Groups who represent CBD retailers recommend printing out any paperwork from the supplier before flying with CBD. They also recommend not carrying open CBD products through airport security screening.
- Do not travel with large quantities of CBD products. It shouldn’t exceed quantities for personal use.
- It is advised that you do not travel internationally with CBD. It’s not legal in all countries in the world, and could potentially lead to arrest at an international airport.
Take CBD Before You Fly
While it may be inadvisable to bring CBD products on flights, you can take CBD before traveling. CBD can help relieve the stresses that come with airport travel. If you are planning a long-haul trip it can be a good alternative to over-the-counter options.
Benefits of Taking CBD Before a flight:
- If you are a nervous flyer, taking CBD may help alleviate the panic you experience before a flight.
- Studies have shown how CBD can help relieve the inflammation that causes joint pain. If the mere thought of being confined to an airplane seat makes your back ache, taking CBD before your flight might be the ideal option.
- It is important to rest on long haul flights to help you adjust to time zones and prevent jet-lag. CBD studies have found that it helps users enjoy a relaxing sleep and creates a general feeling of calm and focus.
If you are considering flying with CBD, it’s important to weigh up the risks and benefits beforehand. It’s vital to know the quality of your CBD product. All our CBD products are organically farmed and independently triple batch tested. Every package comes with a unique QR-Code to tell you everything you need to know about your CBD product.
Have you traveled with CBD? What was your experience? Tell your story and comment below: